We're an affiliate.
We hope you love the products/services we recommend on Just Van Life! So you know, there is the possibility we will collect a commission should you make a purchase via any of our links. This will in no way affect the purchase price. Thank you for your support, we really appreciate it!
If you’re traveling in your camper van, especially if you’re planning to go off-grid then you must have a camper van toilet. The last thing you want to do is have to get out of your camper van in the middle of the night.
Having a toilet in your camper van will ensure that you will have the privacy you need and with so many different options available on the market, you’ll be able to find the best choice depending on the size of your camper and how much space the toilet can accommodate.
In this guide, we’ll be taking you through the different types of camper van toilets you can choose from, the top 7 toilets on the market that you should consider as well as an exclusive Buyers Guide and FAQ so you can know what to expect when conducting your research.
Types of camper van toilets
Before delving into the best camper van toilets on the market, it’s important to know the different kinds of camper van toilets that are available to purchase so you can make an informed decision based on what is best for your needs and requirements. Here are the different types of camper van toilets you can choose from:
The first option is the best choice for those who have a strict budget and want to have a simple setup. Bucket toilets are large lined buckets that come with a seat to sit on meaning that they are extremely basic but don’t require any specific equipment or treatment. If you are venturing off-grid or away from resources and facilities then a bucket toilet will see you through this period.
With so many affordable models on the market, you’ll be able to find a bucket toilet that suits your spatial requirements. On average, looking for a 5-gallon bucket is probably best as you won’t have to empty it all the time whilst being reassured that there is plenty of room.
One of the most popular options to purchase is a cassette toilet which is installed into the camper van with a separate removable tank that contains the waste. The tank can be emptied at any campgrounds as it is portable and it is more versatile when it comes to material breakdown. This is because you can choose to use a chemical solution or an organic composting solution depending on your preference.
There are important factors to bear in mind with each as chemical solutions can only be emptied at certified sites while composting solutions can take a longer period to break down the waste. Cassette toilets can be expensive depending on the size and style so remember this if you are working with a stricter budget.
For those who want to make an environmentally friendly choice then a composting toilet is the best choice for you. Thanks to the lack of chemical solution, you can empty the tank at any dump as it will not badly affect the environment. The composting materials you should need contain ingredients coco coir or peat moss which can organically break down materials over time.
This may take longer but it is a much better way of protecting the environment than the chemical solution. Composting toilets have garnered a reputation in the camping community due to the smell but if you maintain the toilet properly and carefully, the odor shouldn’t be an issue at all and you’ll find that you won’t need to empty it as often for even more convenience.
Portable toilets are the best option for those who have smaller space to work within their camper van. They’re known as chemical toilets due to the chemical solution that is applied to help break down the materials in the tank.
Thanks to the limited plumbing or electricity in the construction of portable toilets which means that they are one of the cheapest options making it an ideal choice for those on a stricter budget. Bear in mind, however, that they are not the best option for those who want to choose a toilet that is environmentally friendly due to the use of chemical solutions.
Also, make sure that you don’t throw any toilet paper into the solution is important because this can negatively impact the effectiveness of the chemical solution.
Traditionally plumbed van toilet
The last option you can choose is a traditionally plumbed van toilet which is best for those who have a luxury camper van as they have water tanks that contain the waste and are filled with a chemical solution that helps to break down the materials.
However, due to the nature of the chemical solution, they have to be emptied at approved sites to prevent any damage to the environment. There are a variety of flushing methods that you can choose from which vary in price so you can select an option that suits your budget. However, bear in mind that the larger the tank, the heavier this can make the van overall.
Here are the top 7 camper can toilets that you should consider:
The 7 Best Campervan Toilets
Our first recommendation is the Camco 41541 Portable Travel Toilet which features a 5.3-gallon holding tank that is completely detachable as well as a 2.5-gallon flush tank making it a great choice for any sized camper can, especially ones with smaller spaces.
The toilet includes a sealing slide valve that helps to lock in all odors and also protects against any leakage or spillage. The side latches help to secure the tank to the toilet to ensure that it is fully connected when being used.
What makes this our top pick is that the toilet boasts a bellow type flush and sturdy construction which guarantees the longevity of the product. The total seat width is 13 inches in total which makes it a highly accessible size whilst also ensuring that it doesn’t take up too much space in the camper van.
- Features a 5.3-gallon holding tank that is completely detachable as well as a 2.5-gallon flush tank making it a great choice for any sized camper can, especially ones with smaller spaces
- Includes a sealing slide valve that helps to lock in all odors and also protects against any leakage or spillage
- Boasts a bellow type flush and sturdy construction which guarantees the longevity of the product
- The tank can be difficult to clean
- 5.3 gallon holding tank is detachable; 2.5 gallon flush tank
- Sealing slide valve locks in odors and protects against leakage
- Side latches secure the tank to the toilet
- Bellow type flush and sturdy construction
- Measures 15.5 inch H x 14 inch W x 16 inch; Please note: Total seat width is 13 inches; Seat dimensions (inside) are: 8.5 inch W x 9 inch D
Our second selection is the Alpcour Portable Toilet which is extremely versatile for any type of setting as it has been designed with camper vans in mind. This toilet comes with a built-in piston pump flusher which provides plenty of powerful cleaning action without the stress of any plumbing or external hookups required.
Featuring a large 5.3-gallon waste tank and 3.2-gallon water tank which means that you don’t have to empty the tanks as often making it highly convenient. The comfortable setup makes this unit easy to install as the unit is made from durable and heavy-duty materials that naturally minimize odor while also being rust and corrosion-resistant. The lightweight design makes it easy to travel around.
This unit is extremely easy to clean thanks to the sprayer which keeps the bowl clean at all degrees. The rotating spout allows you to dispose of waste safely and hygienically. It comes with a waste-level indicator and anti-leak drain valve to lock in any liquid and odors. This toilet is one of the most travel-friendly options on our list making it great for those with smaller camper vans who like to travel a lot and need something easy to take around.
- Comes with a built-in piston pump flusher which provides plenty of powerful cleaning action without the stress of any plumbing or external hookups required
- The comfortable setup makes this unit easy to install as the unit is made from durable and heavy-duty materials that naturally minimize odor while also being rust and corrosion resistant
- Easy to clean thanks to the sprayer which keeps the bowl clean at all degrees. The rotating spout allows you to dispose of waste safely and hygienically
- The pump can be tricky to work initially
- THE ULTIMATE PORTABLE TOILET – No More Emergency Potty Runs While Camping, Boating or Traveling on the Road! Compact, Fully Functional Latrine Provides Anytime, Anywhere Bathroom Relief with All the Comforts of a Real Home Toilet
- AMAZING 50+ FLUSH CAPACITY – Built-In Piston Pump Flusher Provides Powerful Cleaning Action, No Plumbing or External Hookups Required – Features Extra Large 5.3 Gallon Waste Tank & 3.2 Gallon Water Tank for Fewer Emptying Trips
- SUPER COMFORTABLE SETUP – Unit is Made of Durable, Heavy Duty Material That Naturally Minimizes Odors & Resists Rust & Corrosion – Lightweight Yet Sturdy Seat Supports the Entire Family Including Toddlers, Kids, Teenagers, Adults & the Elderly
- EASY CLEAN CONVENIENCE – Sprayer Keeps Bowl Clean a Full 360°, While the Rotating Spout Lets You Safely & Hygienically Dispose of Contents When Full – Includes Waste Level Indicator & Anti-Leak Drain Valve to Lock In Liquid & Odors
- TRAVEL-FRIENDLY. ECO-FRIENDLY. – Complete Kit Also Features a Handy Case for Toting & Storing Your Toilet Anywhere – Green System Saves You Money on Energy & Water & Cuts Out Wasteful Disposable Liners, Inserts, Pills & Chemicals
Our third choice is the Thetford Porta Potti 365 Portable Toilet which features a high gallon content making it ideal for those who are traveling with family or don’t want to make lots of trips to empty the waste. The freshwater capacity is 4 gallons while the wastewater capacity is 5.5-gallons making it ideal for those with larger families.
The modern appearance is supported by the advanced features and great performance as this toilet includes a rotating pour-out spout which helps to support your hygiene and eliminate any odors or bacteria.
One of Thetford’s most popular models, this portable toilet is ideal for those who travel for long periods or are living in their camper van as it is made from durable, heavy-duty materials. It comes with an ergonomic carrying handle so you can easily transport it and empty the contents when needed without any muscle strain.
- The freshwater capacity is 4 gallons while the wastewater capacity is 5.5-gallons making it ideal for those with larger families
- Includes a rotating pour-out spout which helps to support your hygiene and eliminate any odors or bacteria
- Comes with an ergonomic carrying handle so you can easily transport it and empty the contents when needed without any muscle strain
- Shorter in size than other toilet units
- Refreshed, modern appearance
- Industry-leading performance
- Exclusive, rotating pour-out spout
Our fourth recommendation is the Porta Potti 92306 White Thetford Corp which is extremely versatile and perfect for those traveling in their camper vans, especially when venturing to off-grid locations. The design is both sleek and modern while the seat height is comfortable with an increased bowl size and battery-powered flush.
This unit is incredibly easy to clean and use thanks to the ergonomic carrying handle that makes it easy to transport, an integrated toilet paper holder that helps reduce the total space used, and a tank level indicator.
This unit is also sanitary as it is both odorless and leakproof thanks to the sealed valve which prevents any spillage or smells from escaping and a rotating pour-out spout that empties the wastewater tank avoids backsplashes. You can also use the hold-down kit to help secure the portable toilet to the floor so it is held in place while driving.
- Extremely versatile and perfect for those traveling in their camper vans, especially when venturing to off-grid locations
- Incredibly easy to clean and use thanks to the ergonomic carrying handle that makes it easy to transport, an integrated toilet paper holder that helps reduce the total space used, and a tank level indicator
- Are both odorless and leakproof thanks to the sealed valve which prevents any spillage or smells from escaping and a rotating pour-out spout that empties the wastewater tank avoids backsplashes
- High price point
- VERSATILITY: Award-winning, top-of-the-line portable toilet, suited for RVs, boats, trucks, vans, healthcare, camping and even off-the-grid lifestyle
- DESIGN: Sleek, modern, and homelike look, Porta Potti Curve comes with a comfortable seat height, increased bowl size, and battery-powered flush
- FUNCTIONALITY: Easy to use and clean, Curve has an ergonomic carrying handle, an integrated toilet paper holder, and a tank level indicator
- SANITARY: Odorless and leak proof, the portable toilet has a sealed valve to prevent odors from escaping and a rotating pour-out spout for emptying the waste water tank without backsplashes
- OPTIONAL: The hold down kit helps secure the portable toilet to the floor, holding it in place while you're on the road
Our fifth selection is the PLAYBERG Portable Travel Toilet which is made from durable and heavy-duty plastic. Making it lightweight in design and easy to carry around, this toilet is perfect for those who have a small camper van or like to travel for long distances. What also makes this unit fantastic for small camper vans is that it includes an integrated toilet paper holder meaning that you are limiting the amount of space that is being taken up.
This unit requires the use of 8-gallon toilet waste bags which allow for easy cleanup and no mess. This will also ensure that you have no spills or leaks and will seal the waste securely. It also features a removable cover that can help to seal any odor with ease meaning that you don’t have to worry about your space being overwhelmed by any smells.
- Made from durable and heavy-duty plastic
- Includes an integrated toilet paper holder meaning that you are limiting the amount of space that is being taken up
- Features a removable cover that can help to seal any odor with ease meaning that you don’t have to worry about your space being overwhelmed by any smells
- Not suitable for those who want an advanced toilet setup
- Measures: 17" W x 16" D x 14" H
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Features integrated toilet paper holder
- Use with 8-gallon toilet waste bags for easy cleanup and no mess
- Removable cover seals in odor
Our penultimate choice is the Aqua-Magic Residence RV toilet which is extremely versatile as it is suitable for all camper vans whilst also featuring a comfortable and lightweight design.
Including a single pedal system, this toilet is incredibly easy to use as pressing the pedal halfway will add water to the bowl, and pressing it all the way will flush the waste away. This unit comes with an antimicrobial seat which helps to prevent any mold or odor-causing bacteria growth.
This lightweight portable toilet comes with a full-size residential seat that can easily be customized to suit any size while also remaining completely secured and sealed for comfortable use with no spillage or leakage. One of the more advanced features is that it comes with a water-saving hand sprayer which gives you a hand rinse wash down ensuring your hygiene and safety.
- Is extremely versatile as it is suitable for all camper vans whilst also featuring a comfortable and lightweight design
- Includes a single pedal system, this toilet is incredibly easy to use as pressing the pedal halfway will add water to the bowl, and pressing it all the way will flush the waste away
- Comes with a full-size residential seat that can easily be customized to suit any size while also remaining completely secured and sealed for comfortable use with no spillage or leakage
- High price point
- [VERSATILITY]: Aqua-Magic Residence is a stylish, comfortable, and lightweight toilet, suited for all RV type
- [FUNCTIONALITY]: The toilet uses a single-pedal system - pressing the pedal half way adds water to the bowl, while pressing the pedal all the way flushes, giving 100% bowl coverage flush
- [SANITARY]: Residence comes with an antimicrobial seat, which inhibits mold and odor-causing bacteria growth
- [CONVENIENCE]: Lightweight RV toilet with full-size residential seat that can be customized
- [OPTIONAL]: Water-saving hand sprayer for a hand rinse wash down
Our final recommendation is the Thetford 92814 Porta Potti 345 which boasts a refreshed and modern appearance and can fit well in any size camper van with ease. With industry-leading performance, this portable toilet has been designed with longevity in mind. Featuring a variety of modern features, this unit even has an exclusive, rotating pour-out spout which makes maintaining this unit is incredibly easy, safe, and hygienic.
This portable toilet has an ergonomic carrying handle which makes it ideal for those who want to go traveling a lot or need to empty the tank at certified waste sites. Suitable for a variety of different applications, this unit can be used in all kinds of situations. Featuring a freshwater capacity of 4 gallons and a wastewater capacity of 3.2-gallons, this unit is convenient as you don’t have to empty it as often.
- Has an exclusive, rotating pour-out spout which makes maintaining this unit is incredibly easy, safe, and hygienic
- Has an ergonomic carrying handle which makes it ideal for those who want to go traveling a lot or need to empty the tank at certified waste sites
- Features a freshwater capacity of 4 gallons and a wastewater capacity of 3.2-gallons making this unit is convenient as you don’t have to empty it as often
- Sits quite low to the ground
- Refreshed, modern appearance
- Industry-leading performance
- Exclusive, rotating pour-out spout
When conducting your research, there are certain factors that you need to consider before making your decision. This will help you to prevent any disappointment as well as ensuring that you know what to expect from the performance. We’ve already discussed the different types of toilets you can choose from, but you must always look into the budget, installation, portability, and the amount of space required. Once you’ve weighed these factors against your own needs and requirements, you’ll be able to make a fully informed decision with confidence.
Firstly, always consider your budget. Depending on what type of toilet you choose, the price can vary greatly. However, as you can see from the options recommended in this guide, there are plenty of high-quality choices available at all price points so whether you have the money to spend or are working with a strict budget, you’ll be able to find the perfect choice for you without breaking your bank account.
However, bear in mind that some of the toilets come with extra costs such as chemical or organic solution or electric power among other things which may have to be accounted for when you make your decision.
The next thing you need to consider is how easy the toilet is to install if it needs installing. If you have a smaller camper van to work with, you may have to opt for a toilet that doesn’t require any installation which eliminates this process immediately but for those who want a more advanced toilet then you may have to spend some money having a professional install it correctly. Installation is also important if the toilet has a holding tank.
Another important aspect you have to think about is the portability of the toilet. This is especially important if you have a smaller camper van. The great thing about portable camper van toilets is that you can use them inside or outside depending on your preference; however, for those with larger or luxury camper vans then the likelihood is that you will have a separate bathroom in the space which includes a toilet which won’t be portable.
Lastly, always make sure that you consider the space that you have in the camper van. If you have less space to work with then you’re not going to be able to fit a larger toilet that is more advanced and requires installation.
However, if you have a larger camper van then getting a basic bucket toilet will allow you to save even more space should you want to but for those who are planning to live in their camper van or use it for long periods then having an advanced model installed is the best idea.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do toilets work on camper vans?
Toilets on camper vans work differently from regular toilets found in the home. This is because the waste is emptied into a tank or bucket which is then broken down by a solution that is usually organic or chemical and then deposited at a waste site. This means that you can choose your toilet depending on where you are traveling.
Can you get a toilet in a camper van?
You can easily get a toilet into a camper van but make sure that the toilet can fit well enough into the space depending on the size of your camper van. For example, extremely small camper vans will probably only be able to accommodate a smaller toilet such as a bucket toilet. However, for those with large camper vans, you’ll be able to pick from all varieties with ease and have them installed if needs be with no problems.
Do camper vans smell?
How well you take care of your toilet determines how much odor will spread. If you properly maintain the cleanliness of your toilet and the tank then you shouldn’t experience terrible odors protruding in the air; however, if you don’t bother to break down the waste correctly or put toilet paper in the tank with chemical solution then it is going to cause the camper van to smell.