We're an affiliate.
We hope you love the products/services we recommend on Just Van Life! So you know, there is the possibility we will collect a commission should you make a purchase via any of our links. This will in no way affect the purchase price. Thank you for your support, we really appreciate it!
There’s no doubt that living and traveling in your van will lead to the accumulation of dirt, dust, and debris hanging around.
If your van is full of family, pets, and food then your interior must be swarming with debris from mealtimes, dirt from sneakers all over the floor, and pet hair sticking to every fabric possible.
One solution would be to use a dustpan and brush to get rid of the excess dirt, but that can take way too long, cause back pain, and even when you’re done, it still doesn’t feel clean enough.
However, most people would be paying the costly prices of getting their vans professionally cleaned every few months or so, for it only to be turned upside down within a matter of days again.
If these frustrations sound like something you’re experiencing then you’ll need to get yourself a vacuum cleaner for your van. A vacuum cleaner is a much more budget-friendly solution to staying on top of the cleaning in your van and is also a much more convenient way to keep everything to a good standard on a daily basis.
We’ve saved you all the hassle of searching by doing our own refined research to bring you the best vacuum cleaner for a van.
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Van
This powerful little handheld vacuum should be your number one companion when traveling around in your van.
The incredibly lightweight and compact design is ideal for cleaning crevices in upholstery, getting tough dirt out of any carpet you may have on board, and will be able to keep dust away.
It has a large dust bowl capacity so you can go longer without having to empty it and there is also a washable bowl and filter to keep everything inside in top condition and working effectively.
You’ll have to press one button to release the dust collection bin to empty it each time, meaning you won’t have the hassle of getting dirt all over the place and having to touch all the insides of the vacuum.
The vacuum comes equipped with a crevice tool for hard-to-reach areas and a brush for upholstery, so you won’t need any additional attachments to do a thorough job. There is a wide mouth design to pick up larger debris and the cyclonic action will help keep the filter clean and the suction consistently strong.
The vacuum will take a lot longer to charge back up to full, so you’ll need to take this into consideration if you haven’t got power outlets onboard your van to keep it charged up.
The vacuum also needs to be charged for over 16 hours before using for the first time according to the manual, which is quite out of the ordinary.
- Large dust bowl – Won’t need emptying as often
- Comes with a crevice tool – Can reach tough crevices within corners and upholstery
- Lightweight and compact – Small enough to fit into the most packed vans
- Powerful suction – Ideal for vans that get messy easily
- Long charging time – Not ideal if you have no power outlets on board
- Dustbowl capacity 31.8 ounces; Lithium technology provides strong suction and extended run time, 1.5 AH
- Increased bowl capacity, washable bowl and filter
- A crevice tool for hard to reach areas and brush for upholstery
- Wide mouth design for large debris and cyclonic action helps keep the filter clean and suction strong
- Lightweight and portable design. 10 hours, Power Rating: 10.8
Dyson is one of the most recognizable and reliable vacuum cleaning brands so you know you’re guaranteed quality when you purchase one and it’s no different for this Dyson V7 cord-free vacuum.
Its lightweight and convertible design makes it so easy to suction up debris on the floors of your van but also going over upholster and even tough corners.
It has built-in HEPA filtration to keep all allergens trapped inside the vacuum instead of dispensing back out of the machine as it cleans.
However, due to the power on this vacuum, the battery will only last you around 20 minutes on full power. Charging back up to full battery will take under 4 hours and can easily be done by plugging into a power outlet.
Once you’re finished with your vacuuming, you’ll be able to dispose of your collected dirt and debris by simply pressing one button to empty into a bin.
- Well-known brand – Reliable and highly regarded for vacuums
- HEPA filtration – Allergens are trapped inside the vacuum
- Hygienic bin emptying – Easy to remove the dirt from the vacuum when finished
- 2-in-1 tools – Suitable for every surface to ensure a deeper clean
- Lightweight and versatile – Can clean all areas of your van with no hassle
- Poor battery life for such a great brand – Battery will only run for 20 minutes on full power
Hypervelocity-accelerated suction power in this Shark cordless vacuum provides great cleaning performance all within the ultra-lightweight design.
The Shark Vertex offers up to 60 minutes of runtime in standard mode, which is pretty impressive for a vacuum of this size. It’ll only take a couple of hours to fully charge up again ready for the next use.
The streamlined low-profile design is not only ideal for reaching more difficult areas under furniture but also makes it easy to neatly store away when you’re not using it.
The vacuum comes with DuoClean PowerFins which both work together to pick up fine dust, stubborn embedded dirt and also work to polish flooring. You’ll also get additional attachments included for multi-use cleaning.
The flexible construction saves you the back pain of reaching down or going on your hands and knees to reach difficult areas. It also converts to a hand vacuum if you’re looking to give the surfaces of your van a quick going over.
The impressive LED user interface makes it easy to change between cleaning modes to work best on floors, carpets, or upholstery.
The filter capacity is commendable and will only need to be emptied after 2-3 uses. The vacuum is also easy to empty when ready to do so via the removable dust cap.
- LED Interface – Easy to swap between cleaning modes
- Big filter capacity – Only needs changing after 2-3 uses
- Flexible construction – No need to bend down to reach under surfaces
- 60-minute run time – Can go longer periods without charging
- Full construction is bulky – Harder to store if you’ve restricted on space
- Hypervelocity-accelerated suction power provides incredible cleaning performance in an ultra-lightweight vacuum.
- DuoClean PowerFins: The PowerFins brushroll delivers nonstop contact on carpets and floors, while the soft front roller pulls in all particles and gives a polished look to hard floors, so you pick up more in every pass (vs. original DuoClean).
- Self-cleaning brushroll for powerful pet hair pickup and no more hair wrap.
- MultiFLEX technology helps you clean hard-to-reach places and provides a freestanding storage option.
- Removable precision handheld vacuum with tapered nozzle for cleaning tight spaces.
The Tineco A10 boasts a high-performance 350W motor that will provide powerful suction for deep, thorough, multi-surface cleaning throughout your van.
The lightweight and cordless design is easy to maneuver whilst you’re cleaning and also features versatile attachments to reach corners and crevices that are harder to reach with the general setting.
The battery delivers up to 25 minutes of uninterrupted runtime in the regular mode and 10 minutes of runtime in max power mode, which is to be expected of a cordless vacuum. There are, however, additional batteries available that will increase the overall run time of your vacuum.
The Tineca A10 has a 4-stage HEPA filtration that captures very small dust and particles and expels fresh, clear air in its place.
The design can be converted to a hand vacuum for more versatile usage and easier storage when not in use as well.
The added feature of the one-touch empty dustbin allows you to empty the filter and collection bin without having to touch all the nasty bits inside.
- One-touch Emptying – No complicated removal of debris
- HEPA Filter – Suctions up small dust and particles
- 350W Motor – Powerful suction for various surfaces
- Versatile conversion – Handheld and upright design in just one construction
- Comes with wall-mounted dock – Unusable in a van
- High performance 350W motor provides powerful suction for deep, thorough, multi-surface cleaning.
- Lightweight, cordless design easily maneuvers through every room and long-lasting battery delivers up to 25 minutes of uninterrupted runtime.
- A10 HERO+ model includes wall mounted dock for easy storage.
- Easily converts to a handheld vacuum with versatile attachments to reach corners, stairs and crevices.
- A10 HERO+ model includes: 3 Specialized Brushes: LED Multi-task, High-Torque Power Brush, Mini Power Brush and 2-in-1 Dusting Brush, and Wall-Mounted Dock.
The Gtech cordless vacuum is extremely lightweight, weighing only 3.5lbs so can be easily handled to get areas high up in your van without being too much pressure on your arms. The lightweight design is also great for extended periods of use when your van is extra dusty.
Whilst not boasting the longest run time of vacuum cleaners out there, it still offers a solid 30 minutes of cleaning time between each charge which should be sufficient enough to cover one or two cleaning sessions throughout your van.
The Gtech handheld vacuum has pretty decent suction power considering its size and is powerful enough to vacuum up tougher dirt on carpets.
It has a 22V motor powered by a professional-grade Li-ion battery incorporated into the design for reliable and durable use.
The cordless vacuum features an LED power gauge that alerts you when it’ll need charging again, so you don’t get caught halfway through cleaning.
The vacuum comes with onboard attachments that offer 12 different cleaning combinations so you’ll be able to clean every area of your van effectively with just one device.
Despite the size, the vacuum is pretty noisy so if you’re looking for a vacuum that’ll be inconspicuous throughout your travels then this won’t be it.
- 30-minute Run Time – One or two cleaning sessions between charges
- Lightweight Design – Versatile use without hurting your arms
- LED Power Gauge – Shows you how much charge is left in the vacuum
- Noisy – Not great if you’re cleaning with everyone on board
- Missing parts – Some customers have noted that parts have been missing from their vacuum
- Up to 30 minutes of run time in between charges.
- Versatile and light weight, only 3.5 lbs.
- Cordless 22V motor powered by professional grade Li-ion battery.
- LED power gauge so you know when to charge.
- Onboard attachments that offer 12 different cleaning combinations.
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Van Buyer’s Guide
Why should you buy a vacuum for your van?
If you’re going to be spending a big chunk of time in your van or motorhome then you’ll want to make sure it’s clean and tidy.
Eating, traveling, and relaxing in your van can result in the build-up of dirt, food, dust, and even pet hair if you’re traveling with furry companions.
Vacuuming will help eliminate the harmful bacteria, keep up the quality of the interior of your van and also help it feel and smell fresher inside.
Prevent Wear & Tear
If you don’t keep on top of cleaning and vacuuming the interior of your van, you’ll soon start to see the quality and condition of your carpet and upholster diminish.
Crumbs, dust, and dirt left unchecked on the interior will cause unwanted odors and can prove difficult to remove when left for too long.
Maintaining a clean environment inside your van will help your van keep its value and will stay in better condition for longer, regardless of how often you use it.
If you don’t vacuum and clean the interior of your van, then there will be a build-up of dust and dirt particles. You’ll be breathing in these particles every day which could lead to asthma or allergies developing.
Food debris can also turn bad quickly and begin to grow mold which releases harmful particles in the air which could lead to minor health problems from just a sniffly nose to irritated eyes to more severe health conditions like developing respiratory problems.
Buying your own vacuum cleaner for your van will prevent you from having to pay for a professional cleaner to do it or even having to pay for those self-vacuum services at the gas station, which can add up over time.
Getting your van interior professional cleaned a few times a year could cost upwards of $30 each time, whereas the starting prices for vacuum cleaners for vans can start at around $30.
One of the best things about buying a vacuum cleaner for your van is that you can also use it anywhere else you want.
They can be used to reach all areas when cleaning your home and can also be used to maintain the interior of your everyday vehicle.
What to Look For When Buying a Vacuum Cleaner for a Van
Upright vacuum cleaners are immensely popular in the market right now due to their portability and the vacuum brush attachment which makes it quick and easy to clean both carpets and surfaces. They are the most popular designs for vacuum cleaners nowadays and can come both corded and cordless.
Handheld vacuum cleaners are the most compact designs of all, they offer great portability and the most suitable option if you need to reach tight nooks and crannies. They’re often used for cleaning vehicles due to their lightweight design and normally come with an array of accessories to optimize cleaning potential.
Canister vacuums have been around for decades and are more commonly found in homes. They are a lot bulkier in design and more difficult to carry around your home. They feature a dust collection bin and have different attachments that make this a very versatile option.
Corded v Cordless
If you’ve got electrical sockets in your van, then you’ll have a wider range of vacuum cleaners to choose from as you can also opt for corded models. However, these corded models tend to be a bit larger and are not always well-suited for the restricted space in a van.
Cordless vacuums are convenient for traveling users as they are much more compact and also are powered by a rechargeable battery that you can charge up in your home before leaving for your trip.
A cordless vacuum cleaner offers more flexibility to reach farther away places in your van that you may not be able to reach with a corded vacuum.
Vacuum cleaners can come in all shapes and sizes and vary from brand to brand. If you don’t have much storage space in your van then you’ll want to find a vacuum that is compact and can be neatly stored away when not in use.
Handheld vacuum cleaners are the most compact and can be easily hidden away in cupboards or beneath surfaces.
As a general rule, the more compact the design of the vacuum cleaner, the more lightweight it will be.
Vacuum cleaners that are recommended for vans are often cordless and either handheld or upright/stick designs, making them lightweight enough to carry around your van easily when cleaning different areas. Canister vacuums are often a lot heavier and will be irritating to maneuver around a van.
The best vacuum cleaners suited for vans are cordless, which means they will be powered by a rechargeable battery. Look for a vacuum cleaner that has a battery that lasts more than 30 mins of straight vacuuming after a full charge, anything less than that is considered disappointing.
Vans are a lot smaller in space than a home so won’t require as much time to vacuum the entirety of it. However, you’ll still want the battery to be able to last you a few vacuuming sessions before it requires recharging again.
Handheld or upright vacuum cleaners tend to have smaller tank capacities because of their more compact design. It’s still important to find a vacuum cleaner that can hold all of the collected dust and debris from one vacuuming session.
This will be especially important for van owners who like to participate in outdoor activities, have pets or kids on board as they will bring more dirt and mess into the van.
Handheld or upright vacuum cleaners are not generally known as being the most powerful ones out there.
Some have more powerful batteries and motors, but typically you’ll want to try and find a vacuum that balances both good suction power and decent battery life to achieve a good standard of cleaning.
You’ll need to find a vacuum cleaner that comes with some accessories or attachments that make it easier to get rid of the dust and debris in hard-to-reach areas, like deep in the upholstery or underneath seats.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions by potential buyers of vacuum cleaners or customers of vacuum cleaners.
What is the best vacuum cleaner for a van?
The best vacuum cleaners for vans are:
- BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum
- Dyson V7 Allergy HEPA Cord-Free Stick Vacuum
- Shark IZ462H Vertex Ultra Lightweight Anti-Allergen Pet Cordless Stick Vacuum
- Tineco A10 Hero Cordless Stick/Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- Gtech Multi High-power Cordless Handheld Vacuum
How much are vacuum cleaners for a van?
The price of a vacuum cleaner will depend upon the brand and power, but in general, most vacuum cleaners can vary from $30 up to $400, with the higher costs coming from the most popular and recognized brands.
How long do vacuum cleaners for vans last?
Vacuum cleaners for vans should last you for 3-5 when they are properly looked after. After this time the battery or the cleaning head will be due a replacement or a repair.
What vacuum do car detailers use?
Car detailers will normally use more commercial and heavy-duty vacuum cleaners that require being plugged in when being used. Some of the most popular vacuum cleaners for car detailing are DeWalt, Global Industrials, and Vacmaster Professional Beast vacuums.
Is Shark better than Dyson?
Shark vacuum cleaners tend to have more budget-friendly options but also feature less suction power than Dyson models. However, Dyson models are a lot heavier and more expensive than Shark.
Are expensive vacuums worth the money?
More expensive vacuums are made from high-quality parts which also cost a lot of money to produce. Expensive vacuums also have superior power and will be less prone to breaking down.
Why are bagless vacuums so bad?
Bagless vacuums are very unhygienic and also make the vacuum more susceptible to breaking. As these sorts of vacuums have no bags, the dirt and grime build up very quickly and the microfiber filter gets blocked more frequently and will require regular replacements.
If these aren’t replaced then the vacuum can lose its suction and become completely unusable.
Are stick vacuums worth it?
Yes, stick vacuums are worth it for use in both your home and on the road in your van. They are a lightweight and more convenient alternative to the typical bulky vacuum.
Stick vacuums are great for users who have restricted storage space to keep the vacuum.