We're an affiliate.
We hope you love the products/services we recommend on Just Van Life! So you know, there is the possibility we will collect a commission should you make a purchase via any of our links. This will in no way affect the purchase price. Thank you for your support, we really appreciate it!
If you’ve spent a lot of time out on the open road, you’ll already know that securing your RV is imperative. New to van life?
Well, an RV is basically a car with far more valuables packed into it, right? Thus making them far more attractive to thieves.
Failing to lock away your important items, properly secure your van in all vulnerable areas and arm yourself against imposters is just asking for trouble.
Imagine: not just your van, but all of your belongings. Poof. Gone. Financial and sentimental loss.
Not to worry though – we’re here to provide a comprehensive checklist of everything you need to get your van security up to scratch. With all of these measures in place, you’ll be able to park up and head out without a second thought or glance back.
Best Van Security System
Featuring a new and improved twin hook design, way tougher for thieves to conquer, the Club 3000 steering wheel lock from Winner International is a fantastic investment. Thanks to a universal fit, it should be appropriate for any and all RVs.
Constructed from cro-moly steel, this bad boy is resistant to prying and pulling, sawing, hammering and even freon attacks. Bold and bright yellow, just its very presence will work to deter thieves from even trying to rob you.
A powder coated finish ensures that the beautiful alloy materials will stay shiny and scratch-resistant for years to come. It’s not going to lose any of that impressive shine, even after continuous use.
Also upgraded is the lock housing, which has been reinforced with additional strength; the Club’s patented self-locking feature means that in just one pull, your entire vehicle is safe and secure. Anyone trying to break in will make a huge racket!
Not only that, but just by using this product, you are guaranteed up to $500 against the Owner’s Comprehensive Insurance deductible (not valid in Hawaii, Texas, New York or Wisconsin, unfortunately) – it pays for itself several times over just in savings.
- Can be used with a single or twin hooks depending on your preference
- Instant locking with just one pull – no need to remember to do so yourself
- Impressive construction for durability and a product that lasts
- Fits on cars, SUVs and vans – use again on any vehicle you like
- Visual deterrent mostly; won’t prevent a determined or experienced thief on its own
- The twin hook design is tougher for thieves to defeat
- Universal fit that works on cars, vans, and SUVs. Max opening (inside of hooks) 365mm/ 14.4 inches
- New and improved lock housing for added strength
- The Club's patented self-locking feature locks with one pull
- Cro-moly steel construction resists sawing, prying, hammering, and freon attacks
Allowing you to enjoy your camping experience without worrying about the safety of your valuables, this key-secured vault from HitchSafe keeps everything secure so you don’t have to. Installed inconspicuously, thieves won’t even think to check for it!
Made using the highest quality high impact aluminum, this vault is very much impenetrable once secured using the combination lock. You don’t need any tools to set it up, just remove the dust jacket and you’re good to go.
Superior to those magnetic key holders, which are known to fail at the first sign of bumpy terrain, the HitchSafe stays securely contained within the solid steel structure, opened only using the four digit code you have kept safely in your brain.
Be aware that any Toyota Tacoma or Toyota Tundra after 2005 requires optional, longer pins for installation; otherwise, the HitchSafe should fit any RV, though if the hitch you have is larger than 2 inches you’ll need a larger model (try the HS7021T)
- Vault securely slides into hitch receiver, secured by a combination lock with 10,000 possible solutions – excellent thief deterrent
- Installs in a matter of seconds, without any additional equipment or accessories
- Works far better than magnetic alternatives that often get lost to the highway
- Concealed and out of the way, where nobody would think to check
- On the small side – only room for keys, wallet, ID etc
- SECURE YOUR VALUABLES - Enjoy outdoor activities without thinking of losing your keys, cards or valuables. This secure key vault inconspicuously allows you to keep your valuables secure at all times during outdoor activities where that might usually be a hassle.
- HIGH IMPACT ALUMINUM - The Hitch receiver is constructed from high impact aluminum and is a vault that combined with the HitchSafe provides the most secure location on your vehicle to store spare keys and other personal items.
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED - The HitchSafe easily installs and uninstalls in seconds with no tools required. To access your valuables you simply release the rubber dust cover that looks like any normal hitch cover, enter in your personal 4 number dial combination, which releases the drawer and allows you access to your valuables.
- SAFE AND SOUND - The HitchSafe is far superior to the magnetic key holders that fall off at the first bump. The HitchSafe is contained within the solid steel structure of the Hitch Receiver with a combination that only you know.
- NOTE - The 2005+ Toyota Tacoma’s and the 2007+ Toyota Tundra’s OEM Hitch Receivers require optional longer pins. The HitchSafe fits all other makes and models to include RV’s, all OEM and all aftermarket hitch receivers. NOTE: If you have a hitch larger than 2" you will need HitchSafe HS7021T
Secure your van and start it up from up to a quarter mile away using the Viper 5305 two way security system. Thanks to a four button LCD remote, you can open up your RV immediately, without a key, and be on the road in seconds.
Thanks to a backlit LCD display and on-screen user interface, it’s incredibly simple to use; compatible with Viper SmartStart software, you’ll be able to use it from whichever direction you like, as well as pop your trunk and secure the van.
66-bit encryption keeps your RV safe from electronic thieves using hacking software, so there’s no need to worry about using buttons instead of a more traditional, un-hackable metal key – especially as you already have those locks!
Featuring a Stinger DoubleGuard Shock sensor, which detects any blows or impacts to the vehicle and immediately alerts you, the Viper can distinguish between a gentle bump in the road and someone actively trying to break in.
Likewise, the Neo Revenger 6-Tone siren emits a 120 dB sequence of high pitched notes, which not only call attention to a break-in attempt, but should also work to scare away the thief – and if that doesn’t, the Anti-Carjacking VRS software sure will!
- Allows keyless entry to your car from up to ¼ mile away – immediate access in a hurry
- Patented security features from Viper ensure that loud noises and flashing lights deter even the most determined thief
- Easy to install with clear instructions from Owner’s Guide
- On-screen user interface and backlit screen keep you in the loop at all times
- On the pricier side of the security checklist!
- VIPER REMOTE START SYSTEM KEYLESS ENTRY ALARM
Providing real time, unlimited distance tracking across the whole of the USA and worldwide coverage available, the Tracki simply attaches to the bottom of your car and guarantees you know where it is at all times, 24/7, no matter where you are.
30% lighter and smaller than your average tracker, Tracki is far less likely to be noticed and removed by thieves – the required international sim card is provided as part of your purchase, ready to install right out of the box for instant security.
Tracking real time with a live update every one-five minutes, the battery lasts up to three days on a single charge; if not tracking constantly, you can get a full month of battery and still check its location twice a day – a whole year if you only check once!
Offering smart notifications and alerts, the revolutionary technology works anywhere outdoors according to GPS and GSM – if moved indoors, it listens to nearby Wi-fi routers, matching IDs to Google’s database to provide an active location.
Made by a US-based company with expertise in GPS tracking (they develop software for cellphone giant Vodafone) everything they make is made with vehicle security in mind. This is absolutely the company to trust with your RV’s security.
- Real time tracking on a panoramic map using Google Street View
- Attach with a magnetic attachment, lanyard or clip – whichever you prefer
- Far smaller and easier to conceal than competing tracking systems
- Live, 7 days a week customer service and maintenance team
- Requires monthly subscription fee – from as little as $9.95 but can get expensive
- Unlimited distance real time tracking. Monthly fee is required. Full USA & all countries worldwide coverage. International SIM card included. Track Vehicles, Cars, trucks, Children, dogs, elderly, motorcycle, ATV, boat, equipment, tools, assets, car fleets, valuable belonging. Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required. Also available prepaid long-term plans for 16.60, 13.95 or 9.95USD. (See more details about the monthly fee at the end of the big paragraph)
- Tracki is super small (1.75x1.5x0.55in) and super light (1.26 oz). Comes with embedded built in SIM card included and works worldwide. Included attachments: Strong magnet, Dog collar water resistant silicone cover, Belt clip, Key-chain, lanyard. 5 years history. We believe customer is King and provide live 7 days a week phone advisors.
- Rechargeable battery life is 2-3 days (the more it moves the lesser the days) tracking real time every 1-5 minutes. If real time tracking is not needed, battery lasts 30-75 days tracking 1-3 times per day (using battery save mode). Optional accessory (not included ASIN B07YVNV82V) comes with 6 times longer life 3,500mAh battery + magnetic waterproof box, extends battery life to 2 weeks at 1 min update and up to 10 months tracking once a day
- Works with GPS satellites when outdoors as primary tracking technology and when indoors Wi-Fi as a secondary backup tracking. Tracki listens to nearby Wi-Fi routers MAC ID, matching IDs to Wi-Fi database for accurate location when GPS is not available. See the tracking live on the map including compatible with Google Street view. Get real-time alerts when the tracker crosses a Geo-fence zone you set. Receive SOS, low battery, speeding, start moving alerts via App notification, SMS or email
- Lifetime warranty including lost or damaged devices. Tracki is cutting-edge & easy to set up working out-of-the-box within a few minutes. Tracki comes included with highly rated smart phone Apps compatible with: Android, iOS and all Internet browsers. Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required. Also available prepaid long-term plans for 16.60, 13.95 or 9.95USD
Available in black, white or brown to suit your RV, these outdoor security lights run perfectly on solar power. Saving energy, costing nothing in electricity AND environmentally friendly, Glorious-Lite help protect your RV and save the planet.
Upgraded to be even more sensitive, the motion sensor detects movement at a distance of up to 72 feet and offers between 0-120 seconds of lighting time, detecting people, animals and intruders and distinguishing between them.
Now made with better materials, with a professional, attractive design, the bulbs are powered by Samsung LED beads, as well as supported by a filter lens designed by an optics professional. Beams of bright light will keep you safe and secure!
Waterproof and IP65 certified, they’re more than capable of withstanding the elements, including rain, sleet and snow; leave them attached to your vehicle all year round with no worries about potential damage, even in the midst of a storm!
Easily mounted to your vehicle’s side or roof, the set up takes a matter of minutes thanks to simple, easy to follow instructions. All you have to do is ensure that the solar panel is sitting beneath direct sunlight and you’re ready to rock and roll.
- Saves energy and costs nothing to run – just security courtesy of the sun itself!
- Sensor motion and ultra bright lights that flash from up to 72 feet away and deter thieves before they even get close
- Adjustable, flexible design in your preferred color, and a fifteen ft cord attaching the panels to the lights – install however you like
- Waterproof and IP65 certified, though the lights should not be fully submerged underwater
- Besides flashing a light, they don’t actually alert you to an intruder’s presence with a sound; works well as part of a system, but can’t be used to protect your RV on its own!
- Solar Powered & Energy Saving: No Extra Electric Cost and Environment Friendly. With full charged battery, the security light can last for 50 mins lighting, producing up to 1600 Lumen brightness. Built-in 2400mAh Lithium-ion battery, which is rechargeable by upgraded Monocrystalline silicon solar panel, can charge faster and use longer
- Motion Sensor Outdoor Lights: With sensing distance 0-72feet & lighting time 0-120 seconds (stepless adjustable). The security sensor light can sense people, animal, people in car etc.
- IP65 Waterproof Solar Security Light: IP65 waterproof rating ensures the security light can withstand rain, sleet or snow weather, good as a outdoor flood light for the safety of your family.
- Durable Materials & Professional Design: GLORIOUS-LITE security motion sensor lights powered by LED bead and supported by professional optical designed Filter Lens. Adjustable Desgin, Support for garage, porch, yard lighting etc.
- Easy Installation: The solar motion security light can be easily mounting on wall through simple steps in the manual. Support wall, eave, soffit mounting. When mounting on eave/soffit, please make sure motion sensor face outwards. Note: Please make sure the solar panel is under sufficient or direct sunlight.
Best Van Security System Buyer’s Guide
Securing Your RV – Easy Steps To Total Peace Of Mind
Get CCTV Or Other Surveillance Cameras
You would assume that your presence sleeping mere feet away might deter potential thieves, but oftentimes it just isn’t enough.
Spotting several cameras pointing at them from multiple directions (especially if they’ve already been startled by your motion detector light!) is perhaps the quickest way to put off an opportunistic robber, and in the event that any damage is done or you do lose any valuables, you’ll have video footage to hand straight to site security or, if necessary, the police.
Lock Your Wheels
It sounds counter productive, but trust us. How can your RV be stolen if the perpetrator can’t get the wheels to move! Whether you’re using a traditional ‘boot’ style lock or a more contemporary ‘lockable chock’ be sure to get permission first!
Check with site security, as some have rules about what you can and can’t do once parked up on their grounds. Combined with a steering wheel lock, the van will be literally impossible to take anywhere!
Pretend Somebody’s Home
If you’re going out for a walk, a bite to eat or to see some sights and worried about leaving the van, this old fashioned trick works wonders. Turn on some lights, but keep any shades or curtains tightly shut.
The look of closed windows and lights immediately suggests somebody’s home as well as being alert and awake, which means a possible thief will think twice about attempting a break-in. You could also leave on a battery powered radio to increase the illusion further.
Replace Existing Locks
You might not know this, but pretty much every locked storage compartment in an RV uses the same universal CH751 security set?
That’s right – anyone with access to their own RV keys could very easily open up your cupboards and fill their bags with your valuables. Swapping out all locks on the van, including for the front door, is your best bet.
It’s a costly process, but then you’ll be certain you have the only set of keys; that kind of security peace of mind is essentially priceless, especially if your family are inside!
Choose Your Pitch Spot Carefully
If you have a choice about where you set up camp (some sites designate you a spot) then be sure you pick the best possible place. You’re going to want to stay central, away from the outskirts, as close to security as you can get for that added protection.
Overhead lighting is always going to be a plus too, so if you can park somewhere that’s nice and well-lit day and night that will also make intruders nervous.
Secure All Valuables
We’ve already advised that you get yourself a safe, but as well as that, make sure any valuable items have been put away or concealed appropriately.
If your curtains are closed this won’t matter so much, but leaving something tempting on the counter and allowing possible thieves to spy it through your window is practically inviting them in to steal from you.
Don’t encourage their desire to get at your expensive items: convince all outsiders there’s nothing in your RV they could possibly want. You could just leave your valuables at home, but that’s only a thought!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are van deadlocks any good?
Yes and no. Whilst popping an additional lock on your van is only going to improve how well secured it is, the onus is on you to remember to lock it every single time, even if it is very simple. If you don’t slide that bolt over, your van is left wide open!
That being said, because deadlocks don’t utilize springs in their locking mechanisms, it’s very hard to pick one and would make a large racket. If you’re the type of person who will always remember to use one, then it’s definitely a good addition!
You could try out a slamlock instead – as the name suggests, as soon as the van door has been shut (slammed, if you will) the door locks immediately. No need to remember, no chance of forgetting, just instantaneous protection.
They can either be opened using a key or a battery-operated remote; the former is probably your best bet, as the latter is much easier to hack into. A thief will struggle to get an exact copy of your keys, but not a universal fob button!
Are additional van deadlocks legal?
Yes, absolutely! You can add pretty much anything you want to your own vehicle, so long as it’s street legal and safe to drive. Buying more locks and security measures is more than legal: it’s actively encouraged in the fight against deterring thieves.
Not only that, but by upgrading the level of protection you have for your van, you might actually bring down the cost of your insurance! This isn’t the case everywhere, but certain providers will reduce your rate if you make an effort to stop burglars.
Are RVs easy to break into?
They can be, if left unprotected Provided you’ve followed our guide to security above and purchased the recommended products, you should have covered any and all vulnerabilities. Make sure to only get quality products, especially when buying locks.
One thing you can do for additional peace of mind is research any campsites you’re going to visit before you get there. There’s nothing worse than pitching up and getting unpacked, only to get the funny feeling you’re being watched…
It’s a good idea to stick to places with on site employees, security and gates, as this reduces the chance of members of the public sneaking in for some opportunistic stealing, especially if there’s a lock that only paid campers have the combination for.