We're an affiliate.
We hope you love the products/services we recommend on Just Van Life! So you know, there is the possibility we will collect a commission should you make a purchase via any of our links. This will in no way affect the purchase price. Thank you for your support, we really appreciate it!
Portable electric stoves are a great way to reduce any risk of fires if you’re camping without having to miss out on great food. As they don’t have an open flame, you needn’t worry about the high risk of fire and they are easy to set up and use.
No matter where you are going whether it is a camping trip or a festival, an electric stove is a great way to incorporate those hot meals into your diet without having to resort to cold beans from the tin.
There are so many options on the market so it can be a bit overwhelming when it comes to deciding which one is going to be the best one for you, however, the recommendations in this article are sure to give you a clearer idea.
Don’t have time to read the full guide? Find out our top pick here:
Our top pick is the NutriChef Nonstick 12-Inch Electric Crepe Maker which, despite its name, can make a whole lot more than crepes. The best choice for those who want to make smaller meals, this griddle is particularly ideal for those who want to cook multiple things at once.
With 1,200 watt power, this heavy duty hot plate stove features high powered heating elements whilst also remaining small enough to make storage and travel easy. It is safe for all countertops, kitchen tops and table tops and comes with a 2.5 feet power cord for extra convenience.
The adjustable rotary dial temperature control allows you to ensure that your food is cooked to perfection and the LED indicator light lets you know when the temperature has been reached.
What makes this our winner? This stove comes with a wooden spatula and batter spreader so food preparation is easier and simpler, especially if you are in an unconventional environment such as camping.
These tools will help ensure that your food is thoroughly cooked and an even temperature. The ultra quiet operation means that you can use it day or night without bothering anyone else.
The 12 inch cooking surface means that you can cook more than one item at a time. With a non stick aluminum construction, food flipping is easier than ever as well as ensuring less mess and hassle when not in use.
Best Portable Electric Stove
Our top pick is the NutriChef Nonstick 12-Inch Electric Crepe Maker which runs on a very powerful 1,200 watts. This heavy duty hot plate has a high powered heating element and the 12” diameter allowing you to cook multiple items at once. This is safe for all kinds of surfaces so whether you are outdoor cooking or in a regular kitchen, you can rely on this stove to do the job.
The adjustable temperature means that you will always be in control of the cooking so you needn’t worry about the stove overheating or burning your food. The easy adjustable rotary dial temperature ensures that you can cook your food to perfection and the LED indicator light lets you know when your desired temperature has been reached.
This stove is excellent because it comes with everything you need to get started as it is equipped with a wooden spatula and batter spreader so you can make your food easier and simpler.
Helping to make sure that your food is evenly cooked and easy to flip, this stove is ideal for all lifestyles as it has an ultra quiet operation for convenient cooking as well as lots of space whether you are with a family or by yourself.
The non stick aluminum construction surface means that it is incredibly easy to maintain as you simply wipe the surface with a damp cloth once it has cooled down.
- The easy adjustable rotary dial temperature ensures that you can cook your food to perfection and the LED indicator light lets you know when your desired temperature has been reached
- This stove is excellent because it comes with everything you need to get started as it is equipped with a wooden spatula and batter spreader so you can make your food easier and simpler
- The non stick aluminum construction surface means that it is incredibly easy to maintain as you simply wipe the surface with a damp cloth once it has cooled down
- Can take a bit of time to heat up
- MAKES QUICK BREAKFAST: Lets you create perfect and delicious crepes and blintzes for the whole family with this easy to use electric griddle. This griddle is also great for cooking other breakfast favorites such as pancakes, bacon, and eggs
- 1200 WATT POWER: This 1200 watt heavy duty hot plate cooking machine features high powered heating element and is small enough to make storage and travel simple. Safe for any countertop, kitchen top and tabletop and comes with 2.5 feet power cord
- ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE: This portable crepe maker has adjustable rotary dial temperature control to ensure the food is cooked to perfection. Also features an LED indicator light to let you know when the desired temperature has been reached
- INCLUDES SPREADER/SPATULA: The griddle pan comes with a wooden spatula and batter spreader to make breakfast preparation a lost easier and simple. These tools help in creating an even texture and make flipping simple. Features ultra quiet operation
- 12 INCH COOKING SURFACE: With this 12 inch electric griddle, making a big crepe or preparing breakfast all at once is possible. Also, the non stick aluminum construction makes food flipping or removal mess free and hassle free
Our second selection is the Elite Gourmet Countertop Electric Hot Burner which is a dual stove boasting 7 inch and 6 inch cast iron flat cooking plates that are nonstick and easy to clean up.
Running on dual adjustable temperature controls with LO, MED and HI settings, you can always be assured that the food will be cooked to perfection. The power indicator lights also offer added safety so if you will be using it in a family setting then you needn’t worry about the risks of burning or injury.
Ideal for all kinds of environments such as school, office, camping trips or home, this stove will satisfy a range of lifestyles. Whether it is just for yourself or your family. The dual cooking plates means that you can get more done in less time which saves you both time and money.
Running at a powerful 1,400 watts, you can always be guaranteed fast and efficient cooking wherever you are and the durable and reliable materials used in making this stove will also ensure that you will have this product for a long time.
- Comes with 7 inch and 6 inch cast iron flat cooking plates that are nonstick and easy to clean up
- The power indicator lights also offer added safety so if you will be using it in a family setting then you needn’t worry about the risks of burning or injury
- Running at a powerful 1,400 watts, you can always be guaranteed fast and efficient cooking wherever you are
- Can produce an odd smell initially
- 7-inch and 6-inch Cast Iron flat cooking plates is nonstick and easy to clean up
- Dual adjustable temperature controls with LO, MED, and HI settings
- Power indicator lights offer added safety
- Powerful 1,500 watts for fast, efficient cooking
- Portable for cooking at school, office, camping trips or home
Our third recommendation is the Ovente 1000W Single Hot Plate Electric Countertop which provides a hassle free cooking experience and is powered by 1000 watts. Using infrared technology and an advanced system which heats up food quickly and evenly without any hot or cold spots.
It is compatible with all cookwares which is rare to find with portable stoves. It does work best with cookware that has a 7” diameter to match the plate size of the burner but if you don’t mind altering the placement of a larger piece of cookware then this won’t pose too much of a problem for you.
This stove has a flat stainless steel housing with a sleek crystallite ceramic glass top to make it look great as well as functional for all kinds of environments. It’s slim and light design makes it ideal for travelling so if you plan on taking your stove on camping trips then this is the perfect option for you.
Incredibly easy to clean and maintain, this stove is great if you have a family and want to spend your trips having fun and making memories rather than cleaning your appliances. Simply wipe the surface with a damp cloth when it has cooled down.
- Using infrared technology and an advanced system which heats up food quickly and evenly without any hot or cold spots
- This stove has a flat stainless steel housing with a sleek crystallite ceramic glass top to make it look great as well as functional for all kinds of environments
- It’s slim and light design makes it ideal for travelling
- Does not have as many temperature settings available
- HASSLE-FREE COOKING EXPERIENCE – The cooktop is powered by 120V (1000W). It uses infrared technology an advanced system for smooth-top electric ranges heating up food quickly and evenly without any hot or cold spots.
- COMPATIBLE TO ALL COOKWARES – Unlike induction cooktops this countertop burner works well with all types of cookware. However for best results use flat cookware as close to the plate size of the burner (7" in diameter).
- CLASSY AND PORTABLE – Its flat stainless steel housing and sleek crystallite ceramic glass top make this burner look great on any countertop. Plus it is slim and light (2.4 lbs) making it perfect for small studios kitchenettes RVs and camping trips.
- EASY TO CLEAN – Cleaning the crystallite glass and the metal housing is fast and simple—it won't even take you more than a minute. Simply wipe the cooktop with a clean damp cloth and it would look fresh again.
Our penultimate choice is the Cusimax Portable Electric Stove which can work with all types of cookware thanks to its cast iron and aluminum build. A great choice for those who have families as it heats up in seconds thanks to the infrared burners.
Powered by 1,200 watts, this stove conveniently cooks a variety of different foods so you are not restricted in your choices. The compact size makes it very portable.
An ideal choice for dorm rooms, offices, camping or RVs, this stove can be used for everyday use or for camping trips. With no stovetop required, this stove only required a simple wipe with a damp cloth when it is cool.
This stove is safe and durable as it works through infrared heating meaning that there is no electromagnetic radiation involved. This means that it is completely harmless to the human body. It has an automotive safety shutoff function and the temperature is regulated by a thermostat.
The black stainless steel body has been built to withstand frequent use and the durable ceramic cooktop means that it can withstand the heat. With an 18 month warranty, you can have peace of mind that this stove is designed to last a long time.
- The compact size makes it very portable. An ideal choice for dorm rooms, offices, camping or RVs, this stove can be used for everyday use or for camping trips
- It has an automotive safety shutoff function and the temperature is regulated by a thermostat
- Comes with an 18 month warranty so you can have peace of mind that this stove is designed to last a long time
- Not suitable for larger cookware
- [WORKS WITH ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE] Compatible with pots and pans with maximum size of 7.1 inches. Works with glass, copper and frying pans, Cast-iron and aluminum and heats cookware efficiently with minimal heat loss. All CUSIMAX products are covered by Product Liability Insurance of United States.
- [HEAT-UP IN SECONDS] Compared to a hot plate burner which takes minutes to heat up, Infrared burners take only a few seconds to heat up. Powered by 120V and 1200-Watts. Conveniently cook a variety of foods such as warm sauces, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, soup, pasta, vegetables and so much more. Please cover your cookware with a lid when boil water.
- [CONVENIENT] The small scale in size makes it very portable. Ideal for dorm rooms, offices, camping, or even your RV. Great for every day use or as an extra cooking appliance in a busy kitchen. No stovetop required. Simply wipe with a clean damp cloth when cool.
- [SAFE & DURABLE] NO Radiation, our infrared cooktop works by far infrared heating and has no electromagnetic radiation, and therefore, it is harmless to the human body. Automatic safety shutoff function with temperature regulated by a thermostat, it is normal when the indicator turns on and off automatically. Black Stainless steel body built to withstand frequent use. Durable ceramic cooktop.
- [18-MONTH FREE REPLACEMENT] 18-month Warranty for quality issues with FREE replacement. 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Customer Satisfaction is our goal, and Cusimax brand stands behind their products. With free Lifetime Customer Service, please contact us with any issues so that we can resolve them or replace your product. (All warranties are void for improper usage of the product). Get Yours Now, Risk-Free!
Our final choice is the NutriChef Double Induction Cooktop which has a flat cast iron pan that runs at 1,800 watt, touch sensor control with 12 controls so you can have complete control over the temperature.
It also boasts a kids safety lock to reduce the risk of burning or other injury. With two heating zones, this stove has 2 circular top panel heating zones with independent configurable temperature zone setting as well as a digital LCD display screen making it the ideal choice for those who want a technologically advanced product.
The multiple cooking modes can be switched around with the simple press of a button making it able to fry, steam and water for an easy cooking experience and the automotive warm function always ensures that the food is heated for later serving.
This is the perfect choice for those who like to cook a variety of foods and have a lot of people to cater for. With a lock function that locks all of the operating buttons, you can have peace of mind as it will prevent any children from being scolded. Energy efficient and heavy duty, this stove cooks food by using electromagnets so no heat is lost between the cooking surface and the pot.
Not only does this make it easier and quicker to cook but you’re also saving money because of this making it financially efficient as well. This stove is ideal for those who like to travel a lot as it boasts a compact and versatile design that makes it great for outdoor cooking and travelling around.
- With two heating zones, this stove has 2 circular top panel heating zones with independent configurable temperature zone setting as well as a digital LCD display screen
- The multiple cooking modes can be switched around with the simple press of a button making it able to fry, steam and water for an easy cooking experience and the automotive warm function always ensures that the food is heated for later serving
- With a lock function that locks all of the operating buttons, you can have peace of mind as it will prevent any children from being scolded
- High price point
- TWO HEATING ZONES: This Professional Digital Countertop Dual Induction Cooker by NutriChef is equipped with 2 Circular Top Panel Heating Zones with Independent Configurable Temperature Zone Setting & a Digital LCD Display Screen
- MULTIPLE COOKING MODE: Switch from one cooking mode to another w/ just one press. This has a manual cooking function with fry, steam, & water mode for easy cooking, & an automatic warm function which keeps the food warm for later serving
- LOCK FUNCTION: This product is also equipped with a Built in Child Safety Lock which locks all the operating buttons of the cooktop to protect the little ones from injuries such as scalding
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: This heavy duty 120v Electric Induction cooktop cooks food by using electromagnets so no heat is lost between the cooking surface & the pot which makes it highly energy efficient & it also makes cooking a lot easier & faster
- COMPACT & VERSATILE: This double burner is compatible with steel, cast iron, enameled iron, stainless steel, flat bottom pan or pot w/ a diameter of 12 to 26 cm. Lightweight & compact, great for home / outdoor cooking & its easy to clean
Best Portable Electric Stove Buyer’s Guide
When deciding what portable electric stove is the best for you, it’s important to consider various aspects before making your final decision.
What this will do is save you time and money in the long run as you’ll know what to look for and what to expect from the stove when it comes rather than basing it on trial and error.
When you are conducting your research, always think about how often it will be used, where you will be using it, the materials that the stove is made from and the budget.
When you have considered all of these points, you’ll be able to make a decision that you’ll feel confident in as well as assured that the stove will be able to fulfil your requirements.
How Often Will It Be Used
Firstly, think of how often the stove will be used per day. This will also factor in how many people will be relying on the product as well. If it is just yourself then you won’t need to worry about a heavy duty stove whereas a family that will be getting their food from it will more than likely need a stove that won’t be overheated easily.
Also, bear in mind how often you will be travelling with the stove as you want to ensure that it is easily portable if you do go on a lot of trips.
Where Will It Be Used
Secondly, consider where the portable stove will be used. Will you be using it in a sheltered kitchen or in a caravan? This should always be thought about as you will need to ensure that it will work no matter where you are.
If you plan to travel to numerous different places then you want to make sure that the stove has the capabilities of working under any condition with little to no fuss. This will mean that you won’t have any problems when it comes to actually using it.
The next thing to look at is the materials used in making the stove. Most of the stoves in this list are made from aluminum which reduces any mess and is also incredibly easy to clean.
The material of the stove can make the difference between a heavy duty product that will be durable and reliable or a stove that will only last a couple of trips. Although higher quality materials cost a bit more, it will save you money in the long run as you won’t have to worry about replacing the stove.
Lastly, consider the budget you plan on spending as these stoves can differ greatly in price. As you can see from the recommendations in this article, there are stoves available for high and low budgets without having to compromise your bank account or worry about quality.
Think about the other factors before coming up with a final figure. Rather than just purchasing the cheapest model available, always look at the features so you can be sure that it is going to fulfil your criteria.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to use an electric stove?
As electric stoves do not have an open flame, there is a reduced chance of anything catching fire. However, this does not mean that risk is completely eliminated as there is a risk of burning due to the heat.
How many watts does a portable electric stove use?
The majority of electric ovens use between 2,000 and 5,000 with an overall average of 3,000 watts.
In terms of how much an electric stove will cost you per hour, the average electricity rate of 12 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) means that a 3,000 watt oven will cost you around 36 cents per hour at the highest heat.